I know it has been awhile since I have last posted anything on Gypsy Eyes, but I have been having a quarter-life crisis sort of speak since ringing in the new year. The same crisis I found myself in two years ago before I jetted off to Australia thinking it was going to solve all of my problems. SPOILER ALERT – it didn’t. This time I have finally realized that I can’t just run away from my problems thinking everything will sort itself out. Grant it moving to Australia got me to where I am today and opened up a whole new chapter for me, but this time I have to sort it out and figure out a plan of action for where I want to head to next. Sometimes leaving is not always the answer, but that I will leave for another time, another post.
A little over a month ago I came across an article that listed 30 things to do before you’re 30 – things I had agreed with and others, well not so much, but I was amazed at how much I had already checked off that list. It made me feel really good about myself and that I realized that I had probably done more than what most people have in their lifetime. Reading this list finally shed some light on my current situation in that I should be proud in everything that I have accomplished up to this point. Yes I might not have my dream job yet or prince charming slung around my arms, but I’m taking it as a sign that those routes are not suppose to come into play for me just yet.
So with this I decided to create my own list of 30 THINGS TO DO BEFORE YOU’RE 30 – A list I encourage everyone to create because it will really give you a form of motivation and purpose to work towards!
1. Get a tattoo: CHECK – I have four in total and I don’t regret a single one of them. I mean a tattoo isn’t for everyone, but you also live once so why the hell not!?
2. Fall in love: CHECK – twice. It is the worst feeling in the world to fall in love then to only get heartbroken by someone who you thought was your everything, but we learn to pick ourselves up and move forward from it. If you can survive this, you can survive anything.
3. Start a pension: This I never really thought to put on my 30 checklist, but I would have to agree that it is a smart idea to get started early with this one. We are all going to have to retire at some point and spend our last dying years doing something we truly love doing.
4. Learn how to surf and/or ski: CHECK!!! I’m still determined to learn how to ski though, I am Canadian after all, it should be in my blood to want to do this!
5. Travel somewhere by yourself: CHECK X100000! I can’t stress this enough and I have been for years! Spend your twenties living on a dime and exploring new places. You have your entire thirties to start a family and work towards that dream job. I have traveled so much over these past ten years that I am still not satisfied. I have an entire list of places that I would love to see before I hit that 30 mark. GET ON IT!
6. Live in a house share: CHECK, CHECK, and CHECK! I have lived with six different people, all in different circumstances and it was the best years of my life, but also the worst.
7. Travel with your best friend: CHECK! I’ve already done this numerous times and it still doesn’t get old, I love it! The memories we have created together is timeless. She is the best travel buddy and we have an entire list of adventures we want to do together!
8. Buy something you’ve always wanted: Still trying to figure out what that is….
9. Learn a new language: This has always been on my list and I have started numerous times to learn Spanish, but have given up after a day of teaching myself. Take five!
10. Take a spontaneous trip for a weekend: CHECK! I’m still determined to do another one, but the last time I did this I booked a plane ticket to Chicago for the weekend to ring in 2016 – such an exhilarating feeling.
11. Tick something off your ‘bucket list’: CHECK CHECK CHECK CHECK AND CHECK AGAIN! This is probably by far one of the best feelings in the world when you get to do this and I got to do it twice in one year, all thanks to Australia.
12. Live in another city: CHECK – twice! Again, we all know how passionate I am about this, so GET ON IT! Most places you can only get a visa to live before you turn 30, so don’t miss an incredible opportunity to be doing something like this.
13. Conquer a fear: CHECK! I faced multiple spiders in Australia and conquered my fear of heights, well somewhat….
14. Take a road trip: This has been on my list for years now and I am still determined to accomplish this little number! My best friend and I have talked about renting a vintage 70’s Volkswagen van and driving all through California until we hit Las Vegas!
15. Be with someone who’s not your type: There are endless checks on this one for me, but yes I agree. Go do it and learn from it. You’d be amazed at what it is you truly do not want in a relationship.
16. Take steps towards the career you actually want: CHECK! After many years of horrible jobs and crying over my failed life, I have finally learned at what it is that I want to work towards. All thanks to completing the above list. Seriously.
17. See an idol live: CHECK! Splurge a little because their not going to be around forever….
18. Figure out your priorities: I’m still working on that sadly…I still have another four years though!
19. Spend quality time with your friends: YASSSSS!!!! This one took me awhile to learn after countless failed relationships, but your friends are the ones who are always going to be there for you. Don’t mess that up by thinking all you need in your life is man and leaving your friends behind in the dirt, because relationships don’t always last.
20. Get your drivers license: After 10 years I still do not have my drivers license and I’m totally starting to regret not getting it years ago, but it’s never too late to start! This one I am determined to get, only due to wanting to take that road trip with my girl or else it is not happening!
21. Let more things go: Years ago during my Gap Year I got myself a tattoo that read “Keep Calm and Move Forward” – it was a reminder for me that it is okay to make mistakes and/or feel terrified to be doing something new, you’ve just got to keep pushing forward. This is my mantra in life and it is this mantra that has gotten me through some difficult times. I’m still learning how to let more things go, but this is definitely a must on this list.
22. Take risks: CHECK! Need I say more?
23. Pay off your credit card debt: This definitely will not be paid off by the time I’m 30, but you know what they say? Never say never!
24. Stay up all night in the city: Don’t know why, but I have always wanted to do this. I’m such an old soul that I’m always finding myself home before last call, it’s pathetic actually. I’ve heard it’s even harder once you hit that 30 mark, so needless to say yes this is happening!
25. Become an expert in something: Does wine count? If so, then CHECK!
26. Start looking after your skin: CHECK! I took this very seriously a few years back when my skin decided to have a plague outbreak. Do it now before it’s too late.
27. Finish writing my book: This is a slow project I’m working on, but I am determined to finish this number! If it’s not a book for you, then pick something you had always wanted to do or have already started but just haven’t gotten around to finishing it just yet.
28. Buy tickets to a weekend-long music festival: HALF CHECK on this one! I finally went to a music festival back in Vancouver, but it was only for the day! I have always wanted to do this, just seems like something my inner Gypsy Soul would enjoy!
29. Explore your own city: I’ve lived here my entire life and I am still yet to discover what this city has to offer! You’d be amazed at what hidden gems you could find.
30. Give yourself some credit: ALWAYS!!!!